I love fall. I love the cool air, the way it begs you to come outside and soak it in. I love the distant smells of neighbors burning leaves that you sometimes drifts over. I love hearing the acorns let go and fall to the ground and watching the leaves slowly making their journey to the waiting ground.
And as previously mentioned I love football. The competition. The action. The effectiveness of teamwork. The traditions and the feeling of elation and relief when your team scores.
When you combine the two you get a truly incredible and enjoyable experience.
My favorite fall days can be spent lazing around watching football, spending time with family and friends and enjoying all that fall has to offer.
And let’s not forget heading out to the deck with pillows and blankets, a fire pit giving off just enough warmth that it is not too cool to be outside, but not enough that renders the blankets unusable.
And since that fire pit is blazing (gas, because it’s a deck, after all), there must be marshmallows, Yum! Roasted marshmallows may just be my favorite of all time treat.
Oh. My. Goodness. That smell. That ooey, gooey, messy deliciousness. That small little trickle of fear that it just might scorch your tongue, but it is worth it even if it does. So good.
I have to admit that I like mine burned. Completely. I like to slowly light it on fire and make sure the fire gets burned all the way around. Then munch! Gone in one sticky fell swoop. And for others who are with me, I also usually have the graham crackers and chocolate for the complete s’mores experience.
Hubby likes salty treats and usually makes sausage balls or pecans toasted with Worcestershire sauce. (Both recipes to follow.)
So now that it’s fall, and a little cool in the afternoons and nights, on the weekend you can find us on the back deck, yelling at the TV, enjoying friends and family and good food. Having fun.
Sausage ball muffins
2 cups Original Bisquick™ mix
1 lb spicy or regular pork sausage
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- Heat oven to 400°F. Grease mini muffin cups.
- In large bowl, mix Bisquick mix, sausage and cheese, pressing together with hands. Spoon rounded tablespoonfuls into muffin cups.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cooling racks.
3 cups Original Bisquick™ mix
1 pound uncooked pork sausage
4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (16 ounces)
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup milk
- Heat oven to 350º F. Lightly grease bottom and sides of cookie sheet or cake pan.
- In large bowl, stir together all ingredients using hands or spoon. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Place in pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brown. Immediately remove from pan. Serve warm with sauce for dipping.
1 cup pecans
1 tablespoon butter melted
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all ingredients.
- Place pecans in a shallow pan and place in oven.
- Cook 10 minutes stirring every 2 minutes.
- Cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Use to garnish vegetables, salads or casseroles.
S’mores (indoor – no fire required)
Buy a box of Moon Pies. Take one out and microwave on a plate for about 8 – 10 seconds. This is the same thing as s’mores. No kidding! In about 10 seconds! Delicious!